Skip to content
- Proper worksite preparation will make work easier and more pleasant. Put a damp cloth or paper towel under the cutting board – it this way it will not move when you cut and roll sushi.
- A sharp knife is your greatest ally. To sharpen it, take a sharpener and soak it in water for 15 minutes and then slid the blade for 5-10 minutes, leading it the an angle of 10-15 degrees. A sharper knife equals more even sushi, safety and more enjoyable work.
- Good ingredients and fresh fish are important to prepare sushi properly. It is a simple dish without heavy flavours, so you can easily and quickly sense the quality of ingredients.
- How to check the freshness of fish:
- Fish should be slipper and covered in mucus. It should not be dry! When it is, you can be sure it wasn’t rinsed after removing from water.
- The eyes of the fish should be glassy, clear and convex – just health.
- The gills should be blood red/pink and should not be grey, brown or black, as this means that the fish is already long time in a shop.
- The should not have a „fishy” smell. It should have the smell of sea and freshness.
- Fish skin should be elastic. When you press it with a finger, it should immediately return to its previous shape.